Malong refutes seeking Kiir’s amnesty
Ex-army chief and leader of South Sudan United Front/Army (SSUF/A) Gen Paul Malong Awan has refuted an apology letter to President Salva Kiir to grant him amnesty to return to Juba.
In a statement, SSUF/A Spokesperson David Deng Chapath said the letter has been written by elements of the anti-Rome peace initiative to spoil the relationship among the holdout group.
”The advancement of technology nowadays has enabled criminals and enemies of our struggle to forge such shameful documents to distract us from the course of our struggle, confuse us and our alliance- SSOMA with whom are we together pursuing peace talks mediated by the Community of Saint’Egidio in Rome.” Deng said in the statement.
On Thursday a document was purported written by the former army chief to President Kiir to forgive the past and allow him to return to Juba and open a new page of relationship with the president.
But Deng said, “We affirm our commitment to the Rome platform as an alternative fertile ground for reaching an understanding formula to bring just lasting peace and stability to our people.”
Gen. Malong rebelled against President Kiir’s government and formed SSUF/A in 2018 following his removal as army chief of staff in 2017.
In 2018, Gen. Malong and two other party leaders – Gen. Thomas Cirilo Swoka of National Salvation Front (NAS) and Gen. Pagan Amom of Real Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (R-SPLM) refused to ink September 2018 revitalized peace agreement.
The three leaders then allied under to the South Sudan Opposition Movements Alliance (SSOMA) President Kiir suspended talks within September this year due to their alleged lack of adherence to the Cessation of Hostility Agreement and 2020 Declaration of Principle.
However, last week, the Secretary-General of the Community of Saint’Egidio hinted at the resumption of the talks by the party following his recent visit in which he held a meeting with President Kiir over the matter.